Photo by Laura Okita.
Interview by Tiffany Walton
Tiffany What are your favorite skincare products?
Jenny I have quite a few skincare products that I swear by.
- Baking Soda
- Castile Soap
- Acure “Facial Brightening Scrub”
- La Roche-Posay “Thermal Spring Water”
- “Radiance Moisturizer for Dull Skin” by Shea Moisture (smells delicious)
- Raw Coconut Oil
- Organic Almond Oil
- The Eye make-up remover lotion with soothing cornflower by Klorane
TW What is your skincare regimen? Day and Night?
JR My morning and evening skin routines start the same way by exfoliating my face with Acure Facial Brightening Scrub and cleaning it with the Castile Soap . I usually evaluate first if I am about to break out and to prevent that I use the baking soda to keep my skin under control. I haven’t used baking soda in months now which is amazing!
After washing my face I spray La Roche-Posay Thermal Spring Water afterwards as using both products mentioned above tends to make my skin really dry. Living in Los Angeles can be pretty damaging to your skin, so Thermal Spring Water is a type of mineral water that is pure and rich in mineral salts, iodine and CO2. It is known to have therapeutic properties for the skin.
I have had acne issues for years and spent so much money on the so-called anti acne products that were supposed to prevent it from coming back and never worked. This natural formula that a friend suggested to me a year ago seems to work for me, as I have seen major improvements ever since I started it. Even my dark spots seem to disappear as time goes by and I am not using an anti dark spot cream.
Once my face is clean, I dry it with a clean towel and apply my Radiance Moisturizer for Dull skin by Shea Moisture (Coconut and Hibiscus flavored). Shea Moisture is one of my favorite brands, they release new products all the time and everything is natural. I also love their story and what they stand for.
What I love about all the brands mentioned is that they are ethically made, cruelty free and made with natural ingredients. I think it is important to know what you buy and where it comes from. I take pride in not buying just whatever. I like to be responsible with my purchases and not put crap on my face.
TW Any national or regional beauty secrets from France?
JR I don’t know if they are national beauty secrets but I essentially like to leave my skin alone. If I don’t have a photoshoot scheduled or an appearance, then I decide to wear no make-up at all on my skin. I might wear red lips or the caramel lip gloss usually by Besame Cosmetics so that I don’t feel so naked. But overall something I have learnt is that it’s better to not wear any make-up. I find that especially true during the summer time, I break out even more if I wear something that will clog my pores.
You can find Shea Moisture, Baking Soda and Castile Soap at your regular supermarkets in LA so it’s very convenient. I know that Rite Aid and CVS stores have most of the La Roche Posay products; you can also buy their products at www.laroche-posay.us (search for Thermal Spring Water)
For my under eye I use Organic almond oil or Raw Coconut Oil (Vita or Shea Moisture). I was born with huge dark circles under my eyes and as I get older they get more and more prominent. I try to stay hydrated as much as I can and get plenty of sleep.
But I also rub oil and coconut oil on my dark circles almost every day. I also love to use the eye make-up remover lotion with soothing cornflower by Klorane (it’s also paraben free) I keep it in the fridge so that it’s fresh to use, just like my moisturizer.
TW What improvements would you like to see in your skin, if any?
JR I would like to completely get rid of the blemishes and dark spots from breaking out and have no dark circles. But if that doesn’t happen, it’s not a big deal.
TW Any skincare tips from your mother or grandmother?
JR I lost my grandmother when I was really young so unfortunately all I can remember from her is her smile. And everyone knows I smile a lot.
From my mum I learnt the no make-up policy. I wasn’t a big fan at first, but now I do it every chance I get, and it feels so great. I’m not even self-conscious about it anymore because it just feels great to wear nothing on my skin. My mum also told me that my grandfather would just put fresh water on his face daily and dry it. I pretty much never do that, as I use thermal spring water after washing my face with the Castile Soap and the Acure Facial Brightening Scrub.
TW Do you have challenges with your skin, ever had them, what are these challenges?
JR Yes of course. My biggest challenge is my Acne. It sucks to be an adult and break out but I do. I’m not going to pretend I have perfect skin but I have noticed a significant change for the better for the past year. I tend to wear less make-up on the daily basis, so that might be a huge contributor too. So I would say making sure that I don’t break out is a daily challenge. And of course keeping my dark circles under control. Nothing my LA Girl concealer in orange and bronze tones can’t fix! As far as wrinkles, I’m pretty blessed as I have oily skin, so I have no wrinkles so far.
TW What’s your makeup regimen ?
JR I like to do a subtle everyday make-up look with a touch of glam, using the following products:
- Roc multi-correxion eye cream, LA Girl concealer in orange and yellow for my dark circles .
- Earth 1 “Luxury Concealing Foundation” by Iman; because that’s my exact skin tone. It took me my whole life to find the perfect shade and I don’t break out after using it.
- Besame Cosmetics “Vanilla Chai Translucent Brightening Powder”, applied with my Rouge brush to set my make-up as it is the perfect neutral powder for my skin tone.
- Hollywood Eyeshadow by Beauty is Life Cosmetics as blush and eyeshadow as it is highly pigmented and makes my cheeks pop. A Stage make-up artist told me a decade ago that applying a little bit of red eye shadow makes your eyes pop more and you instantly look more awake. Since then I have been stealing that trick!
- For my lips I wear the sweet rose lipgloss by Besame Cosmetics paired with “Portrait Pink” by the same brand. Both products highlight my unique lip color that is a mix of brown and dusty pink.
- For my eyes I use the “Naked Eyes” palette by Too Face to fill in my eyebrows and I love the bronze eye shadow by Pat McGrath from her limited edition “Metalmorphosis” kit. This was one of the best investments ever for me, as the entire palette contains highly pigmented metallics . I love to add the bronze eyeshadow for that subtle golden shine to my eyes. I also use the honey gold from the Naked Eyes palette by Too Face if I don’t use Pat McGrath bronze eye shadow. I usually finish the look by drawing a cat eye with a dark liquid eyeliner by Beauty is Life, a bit of mascara and voila. Coral Silk robe by Juju Lingerie, Corset by Hips and Curves.
- Photo by Jason Kamimura Photography.
TW What do you appreciate about your skin? What about your skin makes you grateful?
JR I love my skin tone! I think it’s in a beautiful caramel shade and it has that natural glow. So, I would say I’m grateful for my skin tone and my skin type.